Daman Products, Mishawaka, Ind., is what you might call a cheerleader for the NFPA’s Fluid Power Action Challenge. The manufacturer of hydraulic manifolds is gearing up for its ninth event for seventh and eighth grade students, kicking off its workshop days October 24th and 25th, with its challenge day slated for January 17th. Daman’s Fluid Power Action Challenge is the region’s most recognized hands-on, mechanical competition.
The Fluid Power Action Challenge gives middle school students the opportunity to experience mechanical and hydraulic engineering concepts first-hand. Daman said that past teams report it is the hardest thing they’ve done in school, yet they loved it. Daman mentors start by giving teams of four students a package containing wood, paper, glue, tubing, and syringes, which they will use to design and build this year’s challenge machine which they will develop according to defined work. The competition requires students to use time management, project planning, resource management, team dynamics, testing, adjusting, and exploration. All of these elements create a real-world, hands-on experience for the students.
Participating area schools include Clay Intermediate, Edison Intermediate, Greene Intermediate, Jackson Intermediate, Jefferson Traditional, LaSalle Academy, Marshall Intermediate, Navarre Intermediate, John Young Middle, Baugo Community Schools, Schmucker School, and Career Academy of South Bend. Daman hopes to increase participation and impact even more school systems each year.
Current sponsors include:
- Alro Steel Corporation
- Canfield Law Office
- David Hawkins
- Garatoni-Smith Family Foundation
- General Stamping amd Metalworks
- Gregg Fore
- Hawkins Water Tech
- Kimberly Malicki
- Krispy Kreme Donuts
- Little Caesars
- Mark Stavropoulos
- Martin’s Supermarkets
- Mikki Dobski Shidler
- Powell Tool Supply
- Stephani Deschepper
- Teacher’s Credit Union
- Triad Technologies
- Tuesley, Hall, Konopa, LLP (Kristine Ullery)
- University of Notre Dame
- Womack Machine Supply
Daman is still seeking sponsors for the event to help offset the costs. Sponsorship levels include:
- Champion Sponsor: $2500 helps overall funding of the event and includes company logo prominently displayed on the event sponsor banner and on t-shirt, recognition on the Daman website, social media promotions, and the option to display promotional materials at the event. Daman will also cover hotel and dinner the night before the challenge for up to two people (limit 1).
- Award Sponsor: $1500 helps to purchase the awards and includes a large logo on sponsor banner and on t-shirt, our website, social media promotions, and an option to display promotional materials at the event (limit 3).
- T-Shirt Sponsor: $350 includes logo on the t-shirts and the sponsor banner, our website, and social media promotions (limit 10).
- Material Kit Sponsor: $250 helps buy materials for students used at workshop day, Challenge day, and the process of development between the two events and includes name on the sponsor banner and website.
- Tool Box Kit Sponsor: $100 helps buy materials for the toolboxes and includes name on the sponsor banner and website.
- In-kind and monetary donations in any amount.
Daman’s goal is to raise $10,000, which will support 40 teams of students.