Gates Corp. has released its 2020 Sustainability Report. Gates’ Report features a comprehensive set of initiatives and programs organized around Gates’ four pillars of sustainability – Governance, Technology, the Environment and Stewardship (GTES).
“I am quite proud and energized by the progress we’ve made on our GTES sustainability initiatives. 2020 was a unique year that further highlighted the importance of this effort,” said Ivo Jurek, chief executive officer of Gates. “We operated through this past year with a clear set of guiding principles to keep our employees and communities safe, serve our customers well, operate with the highest standards of ethics and integrity, protect our environment, give back to our communities, and treat all of our team members with dignity, equality and respect.”
The acronym GTES, which has been intentionally designed to keep sustainability top-of-mind with all Gates employees, mirrors the company’s NYSE ticker and stands for:
- Governance (G): Includes the company’s board structure and operating cadence, regulatory compliance and ethical sourcing initiatives.
- Technology (T): Highlights the eco-driven innovation initiatives that rely on materials science, product design and process innovation to reduce the environmental impact of our products through their entire lifecycle.
- Environment (E): Speaks to Gates’ ongoing, multi-faceted and global commitment to conducting business with respect and consideration for the planet, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, conserving energy and water, recycling and minimizing waste.
- Stewardship (S): Encompasses employee health and safety, diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as community engagement.
One example of its Technology focus is in its new product designs, such as its Gates MXG 4K Hydraulic hose with Gates’ XtraTuff Plus Cover, which was designed with GTES in mind, with these highlights:
Quality and safety
- 40% more flexible than conventional spiral hoses, reducing the amount of force needed to properly route, allowing for faster, easier and more ergonomic installation
- On average 8% more compact, providing an easier fit that also enables upsizing hose selection for increased power
- Exceeds industry standards for bend radius and impulse life, performing to one million impulse cycles at high temperatures (121º C/250º F); increases use-phase and reduces waste-to-landfill
- XtraTuff Plus cover provides enhanced ozone resistance, passing a rigorous 800-hour ozone test, reducing potential for hazardous spills, while also extending product life
- Chloroprene-free construction minimizes the use of volatile, environmentally harmful chemicals
- 30% lighter weight construction allows for increased fuel economy and weight reduction targets, while improving equipment performance ISO 18752 280 DC 100R19 R12 kgs
Each of these areas of focus took on increased importance during the challenges presented by 2020 and, despite the environment, Gates accelerated its progress toward many of its sustainability goals.
Gates Industrial Corporation plc
You may also like:
Filed Under: Hose and Tubing, Hose Assembly Tips, News