Kyntronics has developed the SMART Hydraulic Actuator (SHA), a major development in power-on-demand servo-controlled, variable speed actuation. This new actuation technology combines advantages of hydraulics and electromechanical servo technology minus their disadvantages, engineered in a all-in-one, scaleable, modular assembly.
New to the OEM market, the Kyntronics’ SHA advantage represents the world’s only standard, all-in-one (variable-speed motor, drive, cylinder) actuation system that precisely controls position, force, and speed in applications requiring from 500 lb (2,225N) to more than 100,000 lb (445kN) of force capacity. High force and quick cycle times in a compact package, the all-inclusive system produces strokes up to 120 in. (3,048mm).
Traditional actuation systems over the past several decades focused on three primary types: electromechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic. With the advent of Kyntronics SHA, SMART electro-hydraulic actuators now represent a fourth category that leads the growth trajectory of next-generation actuation.
Whereas traditional actuation systems all have their distinct advantages, each have inherent core disadvantages including:
▪ Lower reliability due to the continuous mechanical wear.
▪ Prone to environmental contamination and degradation in performance.
▪ Expensive and difficult to control force.
▪ Backlash occurs/worsens over time because the motor is mechanically coupled to the output shaft.
▪ Most EMAs require a brake to hold the load in position when the drive is at rest. Every EMA is “back
drivable” without a brake.
▪ Unforgiving to modification–if the application parameters require greater speed or force, the entire EMA
generally must be replaced.
Hydraulic cylinder actuators:
▪ Oversized continuous running hydraulic power units are energy inefficient.
▪ Integrated network of hoses and fittings are prone to leaking and must be maintained.
▪ Susceptible to fluid contamination causing valve’s to malfunction and control issues–high maintenance.
▪ Expensive and difficult to control motion precisely.
▪ Expensive and difficult to provide control connectivity along with (IoT).
▪ Hydraulic solutions require extensive engineering and infrastructure, i.e.-fluid flow, power system, hose
Lengths, pipes, valves, wires, connections, etc.
▪ Similar drawbacks to hydraulic (see above).
▪ Requires a pneumatic infrastructure of pipes, fittings & valves that often leak and waste energy.
▪ Periodic maintenance required for changing filters, fixing leaks, etc.
▪ Lower operating pressures typically require a larger footprint to provide the desired force.
Kyntronics’ SHA is fully engineered as a standard modular product–rendering it inherently more cost effective as it leverages standard, off-the-shelf components. This all-in-one system combines the key benefits of an electronic servo system with the power density of hydraulics. The flexible system can be oriented in any position and features a compact footprint–combining the power to weight ratio advantage of hydraulic technology with the versatility, ease of installation, and control of electric servo technology.
Filed Under: Cylinders & Actuators